Welcome to the Village of Pocahontas!
Originally known as Hickory Grove and then Amity, the name was changed to Pocohontas in 1850. Incorporated as a village in 1847, the current spelling of Pocahontas was put into effect in 1855.
Pocahontas was a coal mining town that was in operation from 1905 until 1942 when the mine was shut down due to flooding. The miners used a modified room and pillar mining the Herrin Coal at a depth of 380' with an averaged 6.5' in thickness. There are very little remnants of the mine, only one lone stack on the southeast town and a few photos and items that the miners used.
Visitors traveling along the Historic National Road or Interstate 70 now can shop for antiques and get their bellies full at one of our wonderful restaurants and visit our Barn Quilt Trail.
One thing that has not changed over time is that it remains a small town with a lot of heart. We cannot wait to see you here!
Historic National Road
Be sure to travel the Historic National Road to visit many of these sights and many more!
Visit their website: Historic National Road
From intersection of Pokey Road and Cox Monument Avenue, travel east 0.8 mile. The monument is on the left. Park in the designated area and stay within the plastic chains.
Seasonal; East on Dolls Orchard Rd
The Pocahontas Barn Quilt Trail was started by a few members of the community whom wanted to beautify our little village and bring in more visitors. Something that would catch the eye of passersby on the interstate and the Historical National Road. What better way than a barn quilt trail!? These members held a three day event at the Masonic Lodge in Pocahontas to bring their dream to life. What started out as a couple of framed plywood signs turned into over 20! Businesses and villagers painted their quilt block squares onto already primed and framed boards to take home and hang, and so the Pocahontas Barn Quilt Trail was born.
But this is not the first trail of its kind, the first quilt trail was created in Adams County, Ohio, in 2001. Donna Sue Groves wanted to honor her mother, Maxine, and her quilting art by painting a quilt block on their tobacco barn. In talking with friends and neighbors, Donna Sue realized that the project had wide appeal and also could be beneficial to the community as a means to bring tourism and economic development. Instead of a single personal tribute, she worked with the community to create a “clothesline of quilts,” which began with an Ohio Star, dedicated in 2001. Though many believe that the first barn quilt was on the Groves barn, the Snail’s Trail quilt block was not, in fact, added to Donna Sue and Maxine’s barn until 2003. (from http://barnquiltinfo.com/about.htm) To learn more about Donna Sue or to see a map of all barn quilt trails, please visit http://www.piecedtogetherdoc.com/about.html
As you drive through town, see the beauty that our villagers and other communities have created. Though patterns are similar, they truly are one of a kind.
If you have a quilt in the Bond County area, please use the contact page or Facebook to be added onto our map!